Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Sky1 - Foundation by William Amerman Review

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.

Wow! Where do I even start with this book? The one thing I can say with absolute certainty is that this book will grip you in it's talons and won't let you go until you finish it. From the first page where we meet Nick Burke and learn of his situation to the last pages where...well you'll have to read and find out...the action keeps you immersed in Nick's story.

This is the synopsis provided for the book:

In a post-apocalyptic world, Nick Burke has been allotted 389 square feet of living space by the government. Disease spreads quickly when people are packed together so tightly. Quarantines have been imposed in an effort to contain the spread of infection. 

When a quarantine is imposed on Nick's Ground, he and his family are trapped. The only way out is to break laws that carry a penalty of death. 

Fearing for his life and the safety of his family, Nick joins forces with a local group to move to another Ground. But can he trust his new friends?

Right off the bat you can see that this is going to be a dystopian setting so if you enjoy reading dystopians, then I would definitely recommend this book for you. What I loved about it was the action sequences-you follow Nick and his family through their journey to get to higher ground and each scene is so meticulously described that you're on the edge of your seat. I also really enjoyed that this was a more gritty dystopian-many of the books I've read in that genre have been targeted to a teenage audience so you tend to miss out on the more gritty descriptions. This was perfect for an older audience (although I think it would be completely suitable for a teenage audience). I also really liked that this book was so believable. Many times when I read a book, I end up rolling my eyes every few pages because the scenes are just so over the top or absolutely unrealistic. That definitely wasn't the case here-I could very well see this happening in a post-apocalyptic world and that's what sets this book apart from many other dystopians.

But, the best part of the book is it's part of a series! Yes, that's right-more action, more conflict, more everything! What's also great is that the author managed to solve the basic conflicts in this book, but still sets up the overall themes for the next book so your not left with a frustrating cliffhanger. Instead, your left with a sense of completeness, with just a hint of anticipation for the next book and I know I'll be looking for the next book in the series to read soon.

Anyways, I would definitely give this book a try if your into Dystopians because it's definitely one of the better ones out there!

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

1 comment:

Want to say something? Leave me a comment-I read each and every one of them!